Live & Listen’s “Gumpstock”
Ivan Neville’s Dumpstaphunk
with Federal Expression and Jeffrey James
Live & Listen is pleased to announce the details on a brand new event scheduled for Friday, April 8th at the Capital City Club in Montgomery, Alabama. One of New Orleans’ hottest bands, Dumpstaphunk, will headline the first annual Gumpstock, an event which looks to become a major annual music event in central Alabama. Dumpstaphunk is led by New Orleans-based musician Ivan Neville (keyboards/organ), the son of legendary R&B singer Aaron Neville of The Neville Brothers. Montgomery’s own Federal Expression will provide direct support, and an opening set from Jeffrey James will kick off the Gumpstock festivities.
We could not be more pleased to have twelve local business sponsors on board for this event, including: Vintage Year, Filet & Vine, Zaxby’s, Guntharp Financial, Capitol Container, Stivers Ford Lincoln, SaZa, Sabel Steel, Capital City Club, Law Offices of Matt Alfreds, and American Rental & Tent.
General admission tickets go on sale Friday, March 4th, at 10:00 AM CST.
Dumpstaphunk stands out among New Orleans’ best as one of the funkiest bands to ever arise from the Crescent City. Born on the Jazz & Heritage Festival stage, and descended from Neville family bloodlines, these soldiers of funk ignite a deep, gritty groove that dares listeners not to move. Their performances combine ingenious musicianship and complex funk and jazz arrangements with soulful melodies that are simple enough for anyone to enjoy.
In Big Easy tradition, dueling baselines from Tony Hall and Nick Daniels III set off one of the dirtiest rhythm sections on the planet, while Ivan Neville lights up the Hammond B3 keys and cousin Ian Neville’s funky guitar riffs send the groove into overdrive. The band recently welcomed their newest member, Alvin Ford Jr. to the quintet, a New Orleans born and raised powerhouse drummer. Dumpstaphunk tosses around lead vocals and four-part harmonies the way Sly & the Family Stone did, but with three studio albums under their belt, Dumpstaphunk stands on the merit of their own material. Songs like “Dancin’ To The Truth” off their latest record, Dirty Word (July 30, 2013, Louisiana Red Hot Records), offer an escape into the funky sublime, sharing the true spirit of New Orleans with every note.
Dumpstaphunk: Recent News
– Band recently performed 4 nights on Jam Cruise 14 with special guest performances featuring Oteil Burbridge Trombone Shorty, Eric Krasno, Nigel Hall, Amy Helm, Cris Jacobs, SteelTown Horns and many more
– Band to release live double disc album early 2016 featuring special guests Art “Poppa Funk” Neville, Mike Gordon, John Popper, John Oates, Lukas Nelson, Angelo Moore, Nicki Bluhm, Natalie Cressman, Brandon “TAZ” Niederauer, Big Chief, Mojo Hanna, Jon Cleary and The Steel Town Horns.
– Ivan Neville featured keyboard player on Keith Richards’ Crosseyed Heart album, released Sept 2015
– Ivan Neville toured with Trombone Shorty for his Winter 2015 Tour
– Ivan Neville charity performance with Marty Grebb, Bonnie Raitt and Leon Russell at Agoura Hills, CA – May 2015
– 12th Year Performance at New Orleans Jazz and Blues Heritage Festival – May 2016
– Recent performances at Essence Festival (New Orleans, LA), Camp Barefoot (Bartow, WV), Peach Music Festival (Scranton, PA), Suwannee Hulaween Festival (Live Oak, FL), LEAF Festival (Black Mountain, NC), JamCruise (Miami, FL), Gathering of The Vibes (Bridgeport, CT) Dave Matthews Caravan (Quincy, WA), Caloundra Festival (Brisbane, Australia), Outside Lands Music Festival (San Francisco, CA)